stand at the crossroads: a New Year's resolution

This is what the LORD says: "Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. But you said, 'We will not walk in it.' - Jeremiah 6:16

Happy New Year, everyone, and welcome to my first post and my first meme of the year. It's called "Stand At The Crossroads" - a fairly short title for a slightly longer point. :)

It's New Year's Day - the day we all think about making "New Year's Resolutions" (at least here in the States, anyway) - and often we make them, even though most of us know full well that we will likely not keep them. Nor remember them in a month. I do not want to do that this year.

I have some married friends who sit down together at the beginning of the year and map out their financial plan for the year - a plan that involves far more than just finances, but also all of their hopes and dreams, both long- and short-term. I think this is wise. And I have, over the past few years, started my own New Year's Day tradition: I carve out 4-5 hours just to chill with Jesus. I pray, journal, read, study, exist, drink good coffee, and generally just try to submit my life (again) to the Lord. The conversation usually revolves around a few recurring themes: finances, time management, priorities, relationships, devotional life. This year I have also prayed over and asked myself a different question. And it is the question I pose to you as our first meme of the year:

What three things would you like to see God accomplish in your life this year?

(Note that I said God, not you.) :)

So go stand at the crossroads - and see what He says. Then tell us about it! :)

I suppose it's only fair to share my own answer first:

1) I would like to see God's hand at work in the development of my character. I want to become a more humble person, more caring, more compassionate, more honest, more trustworthy, a better friend, a kinder person - more like Jesus. I want to love God and my neighbor not because I "have to" or because it's right, but because it's an honest extension of who I am. I cannot become those things on my own. I need Him to refine me.

2) I want to recognize God's voice more clearly and more readily. To do this I need to spend more time in worship, more time in His Word, and more time in His Presence. I need Him to teach me how to hear His voice.

3) I want the Lord to teach me how to trust Him more deeply than I already do. I am aware that this means He will likely lead me into (or allow) circumstances that will require me to trust Him. Remind me I said this, but I'm okay with that, if it means that I truly learn to trust Him for everything I need, materially, emotionally, spiritually - everything.

So what about you? What do you want to see God do in your life this year? I tag everyone who reads this blog, including those of you who read it a lot and never say anything. I want to know who you are and how to pray for you this year! You take the time to read what I have to say, and I'm so honored. Please allow me the privilege of praying for you by name this year. :)

The rules to joining in a meme are simple:

1. Answer the question, either on your own blog or in the comments section here if you don't have a blog.
2. Tag whomever else you want (this means they get to answer the question too).
3. Then come and post a comment at the end of this post to let me know you've participated and where to find your response! (and please encourage anyone you tag to do the same)

And here's where it gets really fun - let's check back in every few months and see how we're doing! :) Or better yet - what God is doing in and through us!

Happy New Year, everyone! :)

3 comments:

Mike said...

I'm going to do something with it but it might take a bit. This is really something that I need to take up with God so that we can be in agreement.

Happy said...

Hey, Mike! That's awesome. Looking forward to hearing what comes of that conversation. :) Praying for you - Hap

Mike said...

Hap ~ I finally managed something with this. You can read my post here.

Thanks for a great prayer/meditation/thought producing subject.