123 meme

Ha - just when you think you got tagged for an "easy" meme. :)

Erin over at Decompressing Faith tagged me in a meme called 123. The rules are.... "simple":

Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. No cheating!
Find Page 123.
Find the first 5 sentences.
Post the next 3 sentences.
Tag 5 people.

LOL. Erin hasn't seen my room.

Do you know how complicated it was to determine which book was physically the closest?

It turned out to be the Book of Common Prayer, which was about 2 feet closer (being next to my bed) than Lincoln's Word Commentary on Ephesians that was on my bed and didn't have 8 sentences on page 123. I need to warn you, tho - the 3 sentences in question on page 123 in the Book of Common Prayer, while God's Word (and therefore living and active, sharper than any double-edged sword, penetrating even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; judging the thoughts and attitudes of the heart (Hebrews 4:12)) were somewhat... spirit dampening, I guess, I don't know. They just made me sad:

And they took counsel, and bought with them a potter's field to bury strangers in. Wherefore the field is called Acheldema, that is, the field of blood, until this day. Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremie the Prophet, saying, And they took thirty silver plates, the price of him that was valued, whom they bought of the children of Israel, and gave them for the potter's field, as the Lord appointed me.

Elizabethan English. *wry grin* Gotta love it.

"the price of Him that was valued." Does anyone else see the irony in that phraseology? How could anyone put a price on the greatest treasure ever?

I tag:

Jake at Funky Homily (you can put it on your other blog, but it needs a cooler name...)
Rachel at Just Something I Was Thinking About
Kathryn at Good In Parts
Hanan at Scribbles from the Journey
and Jemila at Quirky Grace

6 comments:

Rob Harrison said...

Well, that's two for Ruth (I zapped her earlier today); does that mean she has to do two books? :)

Happy said...

No, it means you're a brat, as I mentioned in her comment section. :) I went back and re-tagged Kathryn in her place.

Don't you have a *job*? :)

Rob Harrison said...

What can I say? I was taking a bit of a break from my sermon and caught the tag pretty much in real time; Sara walked up with the book, and it took me about five minutes.

Rob Harrison said...

And hey, I left you Jake. :)

Erin said...

You guys crack me up. More entertaining than the meme is the commentary.

Anyhow, very interesting quote.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I cede to the greater power that is 'the tag' and come out of blogger hiatus to join in. Ta! :-) Rach.