send the rain

for the widow at Zarephath

standing here in this desert place
watching the clouds roll in
and wondering if today's the day
it's been so long since we've had rain

and You have been faithful
You have been faithful
there has always been enough
but still we are waiting
waiting and praying
praying, Jesus, send your rain

standing here, our hearts like clay
cracked and dry just like the ground
longing for torrential rains
to wash away the dust and pain

and You have been faithful
You have been faithful
You have always been enough
but still we are waiting
waiting and praying
praying, Jesus, send your rain

Send your rain! Let it pour
Let the thunder crash and lightning flash
till everything that's Yours is drenched
and mercy falls, compassion calls
and the Lion lays down with His lambs
and everything is right again

standing here in this desert place
watching the clouds roll in
and wondering if today's the day
it's been so long since we've had rain

(c) 2008 Happy Records, Inc.

I think that's how it goes, anyway.... still working on it. :)

5 comments:

Ruth said...

That is beautiful. I wish I could here the tune.

It gives me a thirsting, cleansing, refreshing feeling. It's like the song by Brian Doerkson -"The River". Do you know it? It's my favorite.

Happy said...

awww... thanks, Ruth. :) Tell ya what - if I ever get it recorded, I'll figure out a way to get you a copy. Even if I have to put it on ITunes. :)

It's not quite finished yet - there's a bit missing, about a floodtide and the Holy Spirit coming in like one, and about the life that comes back after the rain, when all that water that pools on the surface finally soaks in and hits the roots of the plants that so desperately need it - and everything turns green and lush where once it was barren and dry.

The River... not placing it. Which cd is it on?

Happy said...

p.s. if you want a sense for how it sounds, go hit a bunch of the black keys in 3rds on your piano. :) It's in Eb.

Happy said...

oh my goodness. you'll never GUESS what song got played at the church i visited tonight... lol. yes, i love that song too... :)

God is so cool! I love how He works in the smallest things just to make us smile. :) Just because He loves us. It's pretty sweet. ;)

Ruth said...

I'm always amazed when God does that! He points things out to us..it's not just coincidence. The River is on the "Today" CD.

I was reading your song again and this time it spoke to me of an honest longing and faith in God's promises.

I often feel that way - He has been faithful - but I still want more and I know there is more, so I am willing to call him on it.