7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 13)



Seven posts in seven days.  No problem, I thought.  I can do that.  So I took Jen up on her challenge and posted a link to my blog.

Good thing I'm a night owl.  And that my dear friend Shara was kind enough to take me up on my double-dog dare to blog along with me.  Fear of mockery Accountability is a powerful motivator.  Welcome to Day 5!  (And be sure to check out Shara's blog: desperate madness.  She's been writing some really great stuff.)


This week has been insanely busy.  "When are you not in a busy season?!" someone asked me this week.  Fair enough.  But one of the things I love about seasons when the pace is almost too fast is how much more I appreciate the moments when things slow down - even just for a minute.  Standing in a driveway, looking at the stars, with some of my favorite kids on the planet.  Playing hooky to go out to dinner.  Reading a short devotional over a cup of coffee on my way out the door in the morning so that I will have something worth thinking about on my way to whatever is next.  Loitering on my way to what's next to talk with one of my best friends.

Life is short.  We need to pay more attention to moments like these.  Busyness highlights that for me in a way that nothing else can.  And reminds me to check my level of activity to ensure that it's sustainable.  If it's not - I need to chill out and slow down and create more moments worth remembering.


If you have not been following Natalie Trust's series on friendships between men and women, you need to start now.  Her last post in the 3-part series is absolutely brilliant, and the conversations in the comments (especially the notes from Aaron and Dan) are icing on the proverbial cake.  Please take a few minutes to read thru it.  This conversation is so important.


I got a text message today from a friend, wondering how she could pray for me.  She had no way of knowing that I'd been (at the very moment her text came) in the midst of a minor freakout about a lot of things.  (Mostly due to the fact that this week has been nuts, and I'm super-tired.)  So we sent a few messages back and forth - about real things - and the rest of the day went so much better, simply because by a text that probably took 5 seconds to send, I was reminded that I am not alone.

The next time you feel like you should pray for someone, do me a favor - drop them a text or an email or a FB message or a tweet or SOMETHING - just to say that you are.  It could change their entire day.


I have been completely hooked on this song for two weeks.  And I have no idea why.  I think it might be the poetry and paradox of the lyrics combined with the catchiness of the tune itself - but the video is amazing.  So incredibly well done.  Love the artistry of this piece.  In spite of the fact that there's that one line in the pre-chorus that reinforces ridiculous relational constructs.  Oh, and that one guy's haircut (or lack thereof).  (And ... who's the guy with the nice haircut, the one who looks like he ought to own the letter jacket?)




My sister says this next one is "right up my alley."  Welcome to my alley.  (It has a kitchen.  Complete with lemon juice.)




And while we're on the subject of kitchens being a source of excellent musical instruments....


It is now on my bucket list to learn how to play a cup.  Who knew dishes could be so awesome?  Oh, wait.  Rich Mullins did...


For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

No comments: