7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 3)

It's been a very diverse week here in Happyland.  I took an inordinate amount of time off this week, mostly by accident.  Ish.  I mean, I meant to take time off.  Just maybe not quite so much of it...

It was worth it, tho!  

-1-

Monday was the 2nd session of a 3-session virtual conference for pastor's wives and women in ministry.  It's called JustONE, put on by Leading and Loving It, and I have to say, I'm really glad I signed up for this.  It's just an hour and a half each week, and there are eight different showings of each session, so it's easy to find one that works with your day.  I've learned so much from the speakers so far.  Like with any good conference, there's a little bit for everyone, so not all the sessions have resonated in the same ways - but I've had the chance to hear from some very strong female voices that I'd previously never even heard of.  The conference is free, so I'd highly recommend popping on over to their website and registering for Week 3, which begins on Monday morning.

-2-

My favorite speaker by far this week was Michelle Meeks.  Michelle spoke on finding freedom within busyness - something I'm still trying to figure out on a day-to-day basis - but her talk challenged me to look at how easily I forget, in the midst of the chaos that is my life, that He is with me; that I am not alone.  (And then I promptly forgot, again, as soon as the chaos resumed.  But writing about it has reminded me, so maybe there's hope?)

-3-

Lent is quickly approaching.  I had a really humorous conversation about this with someone last weekend.  She was planning to give her heart to God for Lent.  "Never mind about the rest of the year," I said without thinking.  (Filter, Happy, FILTER!!!!)  Fortunately she found it funny - and is now considering a different approach.   ;)

-4-

Many thanks to the Unvirtuous Abbey (whom I discovered this week via a friend who shared a FB post of this retweet) for retweeting a relatively funny, if slightly sarcastic prayer, on behalf of those who will be giving up chocolate for Lent this year - considering it starts the day before Valentine's Day.  Hahaha.  Whoops.

-5-

I registered this week for a conference called Bold Boundaries, which is coming to Chicago in April.  I've been reading the blogs of some of the speakers for this conference for awhile now, and am looking forward to hearing them in person!  Gender roles within the church have experienced a great deal of confusion over the past few decades, and I think that many of the voices at this conference are speaking into that creatively and wisely.  This post from Kathy Escobar really got me thinking this week.

- 6 - 

We got 8 inches of snow yesterday.  It was the first real snowfall of the season, and the world is beautifully white.  I love snow.  It's so pretty.  :)

As the first one home, I took the first shift for shoveling - about 4 inches altogether at that point, plus the three foot pile at the end of drive from the plows.  It was great exercise.  I'll confess tho - I think there were only about 6 square feet of snow left to shovel off the driveway when I finally registered that the shovel I was using had, yes, been laying on top of a snowblower in the garage...

- 7 -

Music is such an interesting thing.  I'm always fascinated when I hear a new (or new-to-me) cover of a song, especially when it's a song I really liked.

This, however, was not a song I liked.  At all.

I almost didn't listen to the cover because of the original.  Now?  I might actually like this song.






No comments: