honesty, prayer, and the power of song

Quite some time ago, I worked as a nanny for a family who had a little girl (who is now grown up and has graduated from college).  Sometimes, at the end of the day, if her parents were away or working late, I had the privilege of tucking her in and listening to her prayers.  They inevitably began one of two ways:

"God, thank You so much for this day!" (followed by an explanation of why said day was so awesome)

or

"God... (pause) ...this has not been the best day in the world." (followed by an explanation of why, but often followed by:) "BUT...."

and anything could happen then.  "BUT - thank You that tomorrow is another day."  or "BUT - thanks for being there with me anyway."  or "BUT - i know You have a plan for this."

She taught me a lot about prayer.  about God.  and about being honest with God in prayer.

And tonight, listening to the Tallis Canon for about the 25th time today (because I've needed it that much - this song centers me, re-orients me to the Truth and to Life and to the way things should be) - I find myself praying:

"God, this was really not the best day in the world.  There are so many things about it that I would go back and fix if I could.  But I know You are good, and Your timing is perfect, and I will wait on You.  I will to wait on You.  I choose it.  I will do this.  I will wait, and I will trust You, and I will be honest and I may yell and rage and tell You exactly what I think, but at the end of the day, Lord, You are GOD and You can do anything You like with me and with this day and with my life.  So here it is - and Glory to Thee, my God, this night, for all the blessings of the light - for there are so many, and they are all from You.  Forgive me, Lord, for Thy own Son, the ill that I this day have done...  I messed it up a lot today; I've messed it up a lot for ages.  But You are good, and Your love endures forever.  Your mercy knows no bounds.  Your grace is sufficient for me.  I trust You, Jesus."

Praise Him above angelic host; praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost - for He is worthy to be worshiped and honored and praised and extolled and loved and adored and trusted.

Somehow, it will all work out okay.  And I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.  So be still, o my soul, be still.  Be still, and take heart, and wait for the Lord.

Be still, and take heart, and wait for the Lord.


No comments: