friendship with God

I've been thinking (among other things) about friendship, and what it really means, and the differences between friendship and acquaintanceship and everything in between - and last night, in mad association, my jukebox of a brain began playing an old hymn. Of course, in my head I was hearing the horrible "jazzed up" version from a badly done praise record someone had given me in college, that I used to play for fun to annoy my roommate. :) (Remember this one, Sara?) Horrible as the arrangement was, I have always loved the words to this song:

What a Friend We Have in Jesus
by Joseph Scriven and Charles C. Converse

What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer!
Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
Oh, what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged;
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
Can we find a friend so faithful,
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;
Take it to the Lord in prayer!

Are we weak and heavy laden,
Cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Saviour, still our refuge,
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He'll take and shield thee,
Thou wilt find a solace there.

Amen.


To which I can only say:

I love you, O LORD, my strength.

The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge.
He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

(Psalm 18:1-2)

3 comments:

Sara said...

Despite years of trying to block that recording from my memory, it all comes back with horrifying clarity at the least mention . . .

Fortunately, the text is written in 8.7.8.7 D, an extremely common meter. I don't know why the church hasn't done itself a great service and married the text to a better tune long since. :) Rob suggests "Beach Spring."

Happy said...

LOL! :) It still works... (tee hee hee)

(good thing you're in another state, I'd be ducking to avoid flying objects - like tennis shoes and pens - from across the room right now)

What's 'Beach Spring'? Do I know it and just not know it?

Hope things are going well this weekend.

Sara said...

It's one of those tunes that you know and recognize but that gets juggled around a variety of hymns. If you've got a hymanal and keyboard to plunk it out on, go look it up. Along with all the other things in that meter. Pick your favorite. Then, next time you lead worship, take the first step in starting a revolution. :)